Monday, May 19, 2008

An Open Letter to Callie

I'm sorry. And thank you.

I'm sorry that she wants to kiss you when you're trying to take a nap. I'm sorry that she sometimes pats you just a little too hard. I'm sorry: that you haven't been on a walk around the block in weeks, that we used to buy you stuffed animals and time you to see how long it would take to destroy them -- now stuffed animals are off limits, that the guest bedroom used to be "Callie's Room" and now you're not allowed on the new daybed, that she uses that high, squeaky voice when she talks to you -- it hurts my ears, too.

Thank you for being so gentle with her. Thank you for letting her tug and pull and pat and hug. Thank you for being excited to see me when I get home -- but thanks for letting Sophie get "first hugs" anyway.

There's a new animal joining the pack soon. Please don't eat him.

No comments: