Saturday, June 16, 2007

Road Trip!

It's been a long time since we've seen R.B.'s side of the family, so this week we took a little road trip to East Texas. As we drove to Aunt Lois's house in Lake Jackson, we tested out our anti-scream/anti-fidget device (a video ipod, some headphones, and some downloaded kid shows). We have a MUCH longer road trip in our near future (24 hours to Myrtle Beach, broken up into 3 days), so I thought it prudent to test out the system. Initial results were positive, but Old School Sesame Street will not do. It brings back fond memories for Frank and me, but Sophie kept searching for Elmo.

Sophie loved meeting four generations of family: Great Great Aunt Lois, her daugher Cousin Linda, her daughter, Cousin Joy, and her sons, Hayden and Connor. There were lots of giggles and tickles and tumbling and playing on the boys' playscape. Sophie wanted to do everything that the boys were doing, and when they performed cartwheels and headstands for us, she joined in right away with somersaults.


Lake Jackson is only ten minutes away from the coast. It was pretty deserted on a Wednesday morning, and after I cleared away some glass and sea-trash, she happily played in the sand and waves. I found a really neat shell right before we left and we tossed it into the back of the car. I almost peed my pants later in the day when I went to collect our wet towls and found a little (expired) crab hanging out of her beach memento. But I don't feel too bad about killing sealife by abandoning it in the deathtrap heat of our car...I DID do some beach clean-up, after all!


We had a fantastic time visiting family. See more pics by clicking here: SUMMER SOPHIE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come my parents didn't let me use an I-pod when I was that age!

Stacy said...

Ummm...probably because they didn't exist, not-so-deprived one! We can't wait to see you, Cousin Madi...just a few weeks until we go to the BEACH, BEACH, BEACH!

Anonymous said...

Wow, how many BEACH, BEACH, BEACH trips are you going on this summer??