Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!



Maggie wrote a HILARIOUS blog-post on Monday about standing in the grocery store aisle looking at the slim pickin's of Valentine's cards, and it occurred to me that we were facing another Sophie First: "the first Valentine's Day that counts." The first that involves shoebox mailboxes and candy and stickers and...popularity. So after bathtime and storytime, and during Frank and Sophie's singing time, I snuck away and high-tailed it to the VERY EMPTY Valentine's aisle at Target. I've never seen anything like it -- not even the school supply aisle the night before school starts -- it was a rocky, barren place. So at 9 p.m., my contacts blurry and my outlook bleary, I found myself staring at a looooong row of empty shelves and about six remaining boxes of cards. Our choices included: BRATZ (teenage hoochie mamas with lipgloss and boobs) SHREK III (not a bad choice, but Sophie hasn't seen the movie and it IS a big, green monster -- potentially scary), and a Cathy cartoon reading "Cupid is Stupid." Oh yeah...and one remaining box of Spiderman.

So I crossed the store and went to the outrageously priced scrapbooking aisle where I found some V-Day stickers and character-free cards. It took us a bit longer to decorate and write messages in all those cards, and I hid the stickers that said "My Crush" and "Flirt" and "Ooh La La" until we got to Laney's card (they do plan on getting married, after all, and I didn't want to freak out Jason or Xander's moms).

I guess it was worth the extra time and money -- Sophie had a great time playing with the stickers and licking envelopes. Next year, I'll buy the cards when they first go on display -- sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

You are my hero. I love homemade Valentines. I say next year we boycott the pre-made ones. And Laney is super excited that Sophie is "My Crush," the feeling is totally mutual. xoxox