Sunday, October 12, 2008

She Remembers Things

Crazy things. Here's a conversation we had Thursday morning. I tried sooo hard not to lead her or push her for any answers, but I was fascinated. Sorry it's a long post -- it was an existential morning.

I sang a song to Sophie while I put on her shoes, and then I said, "My mom used to sing that to me. Nana Jane."
Sophie: Where does Nana Jane live?
Me: Well, she used to live in Fort Worth, with Papa Joel. Now she lives in heaven.
Sophie: I used to live in heaven.
Me: Yep, I bet you did.
Sophie: Yep.
Me: What was it like? In heaven?
S: Mostly it was like sleeping on a big bed.
Me: Oh. What else?
S: They carried me around everywhere, like this (and she does a little dance). Remember?
Me: No, I don't remember that.
S: They carried me around like this (dance dance dance) and then put me in a bassinet.
Me: Were you a baby?
S: No. I was really old. Really, really old.
Me: And they put you in a bassinet?!?
S: Yeah...I got bigger and bigger and bigger and then I was littler and littler and littler and they put me in a bassinet and I was a baby again.
Me: Wow. I didn't know that.
S: But then Jameson didn't have a big sister any more. But now he does again!

I pondered this for a while, wondering about reincarnation and whether or not Sophie is ALWAYS Jameson's sister, regardless of heaven/earth living status.

Me: What else did you do when you lived in heaven?
S: Hmmm. (Thinks for a second.) Mostly we singed.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Wow. That is super cool. Sophie knows stuff. xoxox

Kate said...

Deep.

Lauren W said...

me thinks she's on to something

Anonymous said...

I think it is so right on that Sophie remembers... How Jungian of her. We just educate all that they know right out of them. She just has shut that all off.

Some of us are older than others - at least spiritually.

Cool.

Love you all.

Diana