Friday, June 15, 2007

Frank Always Takes the High Road

Especially when he's wearing hiking boots and carrying Sophie in the kidpack. But I was wearing my water-friendly Tivas so I decided to take the low road that would let me splash through a puddle. We've walked the greenbelt behind our neighborhood several times since we moved in a couple of years ago, but this was the first time we'd seen water really flowing through the usually dry creekbed. So, OF COURSE, I slid in the mud and went kersplash -- right on my arse -- and then slid further into the creek. I had to hike out wet and muddy, but it was worth it -- the water was clear and cool and we saw turtles as big as pizza pies!

We hiked a little further down and found some small falls. Callie was a brave dog and jumped in for a swim but the current was strong and really freaked her out. She spent the rest of the hike/swim trying to herd me back towards the shore.




Today we went back to the Greenbelt swimming hole, but with swimsuits and floaties and lifevests and friends. It rained last night so the water was quite a bit colder. We swam and floated for a couple of hours before Jack spotted a water moccasin high-tailing it through the water along the opposite shore. Brian, Jack, Sophie and I got OUT of the water and decided we'd rather go out for brunch and drinkies while Frank tried to sweet-talk, cuddle, and count the teeth of said snake. We finally convinced Danger Boy to drive us to Maudie's for margaritas. This is a swimming smooch pic -- I'm not sucking venom out of Sophie's cheek. And from now on, we HIKE the greenbelt but we SWIM at the lukewarm, snake-free baby pool in our neighborhood.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Danger Boy.

I told you there were snakes down there to be avoided.

Love you,

Diana Down the Streeet