Sunday, September 30, 2007

Go, Austin!

I know that most of my blog-readers don't give a flip about Austin High School football -- you're all Longhorn fans (or gasp...Aggies) or fantasy football fanatics. And my side of the family, of course, are Cowboy fans -- the loyal ones, not the fickle type. But I just have to tell you...we did it AGAIN. For years, our top rival Westlake has decimated us on the field. People actually move to Austin and search for homes in the Eanes district so their kids can be on the Westlake team (sick, I know...but keep reading). Last year, in a miraculous turn of events, Austin High, MY kids, beat the team that has won the state champ title so many times. And I'll be honest -- I didn't think we had a chance this year. Not again. I thought they'd be out for revenge. I didn't even go to the game this weekend because we were going out of town and I thought it would be a pretty bad beating to witness. But I was wrong. I should have had more faith. Austin high beat Westlake for two years in a row. Suck on it, Chaps.


We weren't at the Westlake game, but this is Sophie with Brian-uncle at the McCallum game. She cheered the whole way to the stadium -- Frank even taught her to say, "Boo, Caaam" -- but she was a bit overwhelmed when we were actually sitting in the stands. She barely whispered her "Go, Austin" and buried her face several times. She pointed to the Maroon (our mascot -- a big fuzzy maroon-colored puff ball on legs) and said, "Sun. Sun." At halftime, she found her calling. She was sitting on my lap and we were all focused on the band on the field. Someone said, "Look at Sophie!" I looked down, and she was conducting. Just like the drum major. There you have it folks. Not just a future band geek. But the future SUPREME band geek. I'm so very proud. Band kids almost always do well in school! On the way home, she found her voice again and shouted "Go, Austin!" "Go, Mooons!" (Maroons)

No comments: