Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I Hate People

No...not YOU people, who read this blog. The OTHER people. The ones who asked me a few months after Sophie was born when I was having my baby. And I wasn't pregnant. The ones at work who saw me wearing cute empire-cut shirts and congratulated me. And I wasn't pregnant. (Guess I should stop shopping at Target and upgrade to J.Jill or Land's End or something). And now...now that I AM PREGNANT, I see people whispering near me, wondering if I am pregnant. Just last week at a teacher workshop thing, this woman leaned over to her co-worker and attempted to whisper: "Think she's pregnant?" I LOOK LIKE I ATE A BASKETBALL! OF COURSE I'M PREGNANT!!! And if I mention the new baby while I'm standing in line at the copy machine, co-workers seem to sigh in relief as they say, "Oh, thank goodness. I thought maybe you were pregnant, but I didn't want to say anything." Really? Because that didn't stop you last spring when I was wearing that cute dress that you absolutely ruined for me when you asked me my due date.

And now this. At Chick-fil-a last night (hey...kids eat free on Tuesday nights), a man holding an infant in a little carrier, waiting in line for an ice cream cone, turned and smiled at me and asked when I was due. "June," I smiled, even though I know damn well it's the end of June. "Jeez," he says..."are there six kids in there?!" "No, no," I smirk, "just one big roly-poly boy, I guess." "No, really," he says. "Are you having twins?" I looked at Frank, who smiled sweetly at me, and I walked away from the counter (where I was waiting for a refill on my Diet Coke, NOT an ice cream). And that, my friends, is why I hate people. And why I keyed his car.

3 comments:

Amanda Bindel said...

Oh, let me just totally agree! I saw someone this week who didn't know I'd miscarried. She said, "Oh, look how cute you are with your little belly. How are you feeling?" I wanted to see, "Lady, I'm fine, and that belly is all me." Hello -- I would be about seven months prego now -- that calls for more than a cute little belly. Do the math, woman! But I was a bit more polite. She I know she still felt like crap, even after a polite explanation.

Maggie said...

OMG, the basketball part made me cackle out loud. People are totally rude, and I hate them all, too. What a jerk that guy was! Whoever it was who had that baby with him should have trained him better. Or his momma should have taught him some manners. I would have peed on him for you if I had been there. Because THAT'S good manners.

Lauren W said...

I LOVE YOU!! Stacy, that is so funny. I got those relief whispers at church too when people realized I was not just gaining weight b/c I felt like it. And I had the sweet old ladies who would say, "Well, it must be a girl b/c look at the size of your butt." If I had been there I would have keyed his car with you. Oh, and let's go to Chick-Fil-A next Tuesday night while I am thinking about it. :-)